- Gold fillings are the most durable of all fillings
- They are also the most expensive
- An impression is needed before they can be made
- Gold foil restorations can be made right away but they are rarely performed
Also known as inlays or on-lays, gold fillings are made up of an alloy of gold and other metals.
Recognized as the most durable of all dental fillings, it can last for as long as 20 years. However, they are also the most expensive. They cannot be placed with just a single visit to the dentist simply because you will need to have an impression first before they can be made.
A gold foil restoration on the other hand, is the direct placement of gold. This type of restoration is rarely done, and they are only meant to deal with small fillings. Gold foil restorations can be done right away in one visit much like an amalgam.
Of course, the best dental filling is to have no filling. Prevention is better than cure; this is why it is always best for you to take precautionary measures before cavities start to develop. Here’s how you can avoid needing dental fillings:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Use Fluoride toothpaste
- Floss daily
- See your dentist regularly