- Pacemakers are used to help maintain the function and rhythm of the heart
- Some ultrasonic dental tools and devices can interfere with these implantable cardiac devices
- Some ultrasonic dental devices can cause irregular heartbeat How Some Dental Devices can affect your Pacemakers on patients that have pacemakers or implantable defibrillators
- Letting your dentist know about your general health is very important
- Knowing about your use of implantable cardiac devices can help dentists avoid using ultrasonic tools
Pacemakers or implantable defibrillators are implantable cardiac devices which are used to help maintain the proper rhythm and function of the heart through electrical impulses.
Dentists sometimes use ultrasonic tools like ultrasonic scalers or instrument cleaning systems. These devices actually have the potential to interfere with implantable cardiac devices. They can cause irregular heartbeat on patients, and they might trigger unexpected health problems.
Keeping your dentist up to date on your general health is very important. Your dentist needs to know what medicines or treatments you are currently receiving so that he or she can plan your dental treatments carefully. Letting your dentist know about your use of implantable cardiac devices will help them avoid using ultrasonic tools while you are under their care.