- Prosthodontics is a specialization in the dental field that focuses on replacing lost or damaged teeth and gums
- Prosthodontics focuses on designing, manufacturing, and fitting artificial replacements
- The main focus of this specialization is comfort, the normal function of your teeth, as well as its natural appearance
- Prosthodontics is of great help to those who have oral cancer as the prosthodontist can easily help recreate the appearance and function of the patient’s mouth
- The artificial replacements should be properly fitted so that it will be as comfortable to wear as possible
There are many specialties in the dental field, these specialties are designed to care specific oral care needs with the help of certain techniques. One of these specialties is Prosthodontics. Prosthodontics is the area of dentistry that focuses on restoring your mouth by using artificial replacements.
More than just using artificial replacements, prosthodontics also covers the designing of the artificial parts, making sure that they all look realistic and that they closely resemble the original. Prosthodontics also covers the manufacture of the replacement parts, making sure that they can be used as safely as possible. Of course, the parts manufactured need to fit properly, allowing the user to wear the prosthesis with as much comfort as possible.
The main focus of prosthodontics is to help you restore your natural teeth and to replace the ones that have been lost due to decay or injury. The study of prosthodontics allows the dentist to have a more intimate knowledge of how to make crowns, bridges, and dentures.
One of the many ways that prosthodontics can help is by allowing those who have gone through oral cancer to regain the original appearance of their mouths. In order to treat oral cancer, doctors have to remove the parts of your mouth that have been affected. This can leave patients having difficulties when it comes to speaking or eating. With the help of a prosthodontist, these patients can have the different parts of their mouths restored not just for the sake of appearance, but also for functionality.
The main goal of prosthodontics is comfort, normal function, and natural appearance. The prosthodontist needs to make sure that the artificial replacement is able to function as properly as possible so that the patient can use it on a daily basis. The prosthodontist also spends a lot of time making sure that the parts fit properly, knowing that in most cases, the manufactured parts can cause pain and irritation inside the mouth especially if it is not custom made.
People who have missing teeth or those who are in need of restorations should talk to their dentist about their needs. You can also get more information about this specialization by visiting the American Dental Association website.